Total Pageviews

Tuesday 16 February 2010

unexpected visitor

Grainy photo of a recent visitor to the peanut feeder - a woodpecker! Photo taken by the big boy, who sees the bird almost every day - i have managed to miss it every time so far! A less welcome visitor has been a huge and macho grey squirrel, who doesn't bother to delicately pick the peanuts through the mesh, he simply rips the feeder apart.

Today after work the weather was really lovely and mild, so having rushed home I dragged the yellow fellow in from his mud bath, brushed off the worst of the filth, and took him for his first spin for about 12 weeks! I anxiously anticipated a few fireworks, and a lively outing, but I was wrong. He behaved impeccably, the lightest and politest steed you could wish for. I genuinely think he was pleased with the change, delighted to be out and about again, and grateful for the chance to prove his worth. All went off exceedingly well, and he was rewarded appropriately with extra carrots!

Work at salt mines continues apace as we ready for another busy season. The winter rest period seems to get shorter and shorter (or am I just getting older and older?).

2 comments:

BlackLOG said...

Go team squirrel I say - that's the thought of mindless violence that you should be recording and putting on U- Tube...

P.S. none of us are getting any younger although Mrs B is doing a good job of hiding it....

P.P.S on a technical issue

"i have"

tsk tsk teach, what sort of an example is that to set... he,he,he

Anonymous said...

Squirrels have destroyed a few feeders I put out, I got a very sturdy metal one but since the top screws off, one day a squirrel apparently leapt onto it and set it spinning so that it wound up on the ground, dented but still intact. Phew. I don't mind squirrels, I try to distract them with a pan of sunflower seed and peanuts away from the feeders.