Total Pageviews

Tuesday 16 March 2010

spring, the tail fairy, and phantom denting













At the supermarket the other day, returned to my (well parked) car, and found a courteous and generous driver had left me this anonymous gift! I was so angry it almost prevented me from driving safely home (red rage). I have moaned and wailed, but accepted that for now I will drive a dented vehicle, as it will be so expensive to get it repaired, and I refuse to sacrifice my insurance bonus for such a small bump. The local body shop staff were telling a friend only recently that most of their work comes from Morrisons car park - perhaps they employ a secret bumper car driver to bring them business.


More cheerfully, as I rode the horse beside a neighbour's garden today I noticed that he had burned out his pampas grass clumps. I came home and suggested to him indoors that we have a go at our two gigantic clumps at the front of the house. He was not keen, particularly as they lean quite nicely onto the house wall! Therefore, himself struck up his petrol engined hedge trimmer (which scares the bejazers out of me) and attacked the two clumps with vigour! The results are heartening, as you can see, and the next task is to dig out the middles with a spade to really thin them. Its not that I want to finish them completely, but they are awesomely huge, and need a few setbacks to bring them under control.


The Wonderhorse got his coat off today, about the first time for 6 months. Absolutely heaps and heaps of yellow hair groomed out of him, and I followed this intensive brushing session with a shampoo and full conditioning rinse of his tail, which was the colour of mud. I don't suppose he cares much, but I think it looks a picture. The tail needs about 12 inches cutting off the length, but I couldn't bring myself to snip it off today. Its trailing on the floor, and I like it! Hugh thinking of making it into a wig for himself..... The Yellow one then hacked quietly round one of our circuits like a good boy. He has lost quite a bit of weight during the winter months, mostly owing to the sodden state of the land. Hoping the Spring will bring him a bit more flesh on his (lean) bones.
Salt mines now boasting facebook page, and twittering too. All this techie stuff, its really not for me, but Lincs Tourism keep hammering on about using all avenues for business promotion, so going with the flow for the time being.
Parents evening for youngest tomorrow night. Not sure whether to tell the wretched maths team that he has been having 2 hours private tuition every week to help with mathematics, which has brought his grade up to A standard. The school maths teachers are, of course, taking all the credit for this improvement, but half the A level students visit the same (wonderful) tutor, who is a retired Uni professor and does a bit of tutoring to keep his mind active. I begrudge the school maths teachers their self-congratulation, if they were delivering the syllabus properly there would be no need for the outside help.

And finally, my garden is just a mass of snowdrops. Cute little things. Hoping the daffodils all come up together in a rush too and put on an equally dramatic show.
We went to see FASCINATING AIDA on their nationwide anniversary tour at the weekend. If they come to a town near you on this very long and demanding tour GO AND SEE THEM! They were absolutely fabulous, so clever, so cutting, up to the minute and very, very cruel. The Tesco Song, Dogging, 'Ealth & Safety were all well shredded in their fearsome lyrics, along with heaps of others. Well worth the drive (again) to Lincoln, which has proved to be the source of much great entertainment for us this wintertime. If you don't know who they are, or what they do, some old material is available on UTube, but sadly not the Tesco song (yet). So scary, and yet so true. By coming out and meeting the audience after every show to rattle a bucket they have also collected over £41000 for Help for Heroes, and Combat Stress. Commendable service after a tiring and long show. Dillie Keane, Liza Pulman, Adele Anderson and Lara A King make a great team. Just buy a ticket.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry about that dent-it looks like a humongous vehicle must have hit it-unless someone slammed a shopping cart into your car. I'd be pissed too!

I cut down my ornamental grass at the beginning of March. I hadn't thought about separating it-mine hasn't spread.

Skipper looks great, and the tail is pretty! I can see why you're putting off trimming it.

Glad you got out of the house to see the show!