Total Pageviews

Tuesday 17 May 2011

ups and downs


Coming back from Nottingham the other night I failed to capture the true drama and brilliance of this rainbow. I tried. Presently sitting here watching the little brown dog, who has had a restless night (likewise), a nap this morning (likewise) and looks like pupping some time today. Fingers crossed. Her sister knows that something is going on - she is giving the pregnant one a wide berth, and looking puzzled. For an eternal virgin (see earlier posts describing the sister's reluctance with the opposite sex)I guess that's not surprising.

Yesterday brought quite a major disappointment for me. The college where I have a place to do a Foundation Art qualification telephoned. Sadly they advise that owing to funding cuts (yawn) and lack of student numbers to balance the books (alarm) the course I had been accepted onto has been cancelled (tears). There is no other suitable course locally, and the Farmer doesn't want me to travel half-way across the county on a daily basis during the winter months to another provider base. Neither does he want me camping in a student squat on week nights. A rock and a hard place then. Having waited 34 years to learn more about the mysteries of producing 3D models, soldering, photography, ceramics, and screen printing etc I am thwarted at the final fence by bloomin' national funding. About typical. Its difficult to express my disappointment, even today, after an evening spent wallowing in self-pity, and a night's sleep.

The good old Open University doesn't offer practical fine art, and currently I am fresh out of ideas. Perhaps something else will suggest itself but on this occasion 'it was meant to be' doesn't cut it for me!!!

Big boy cutting it fine with his return to the farm prior to departure for New Zealand. Looks like he will, more or less, drive into the farmyard, throw out his bags from Scotland, and then drive onwards to the airport. Oh, to be young.

2 comments:

Nick B. said...

Soldering as an art form? Who would have thought - I've been an artist all these years and never had recognition! Maybe you can persuade them to include crimping and cable dressing? then I can go get a grant from the Arts Council.

Cathryn said...

Banksie! Come on down and get that Grant.