Total Pageviews

Thursday 21 June 2012

North Lincs Print Open 2012 @ The Ropewalk

So, off I went in the pouring rain, firstly to Stennetts auction in Brigg, near the railway line, to see if I could purchase some fertile peacock eggs (the answer to that was 'not today'). Onwards then, still only 9am, and to Barton upon Humber. I finally found the Ropewalk, hiding at the rear of a Tesco Carpark (how inauspicious). However, upon entry to the rather lovely historic buildings I found a bit of a treasure trove, both of Art, Artistry and cake.

The 2012 Print Exhibition is displayed over two cavernous yet intimate and well lit spaces. I was the only peruser, so had plenty of time to take in the view. My initial impression: I was completely overwhelmed by the skill and beauty of the printing. I felt small. I felt hopeless. I felt intimidated. Having walked fairly quickly around the first room I gathered the courage to start actually 'looking' at the prints. Most, indeed nearly all, are absolutely breathtaking. I couldn't see how most effects had been achieved, and couldn't begin to guess. I photographed some of my favourites, and also the prize winners. The Exhibition first prize went to an absolutely staggering and well executed drypoint etching, large in scale, evocative and captivating. I could have looked into it all day. It shows a window, with the sunlight illuminating a lace curtain, and picking out some features of the room. Go and see it.

Some of the techniques: aquatint, collograph, mezzotint, relief print drypoint, etching, monotype, linoprint, relief with collage, chine colle, monoprint, etching on plaster, canvas print (with screen, line & gold leaf), woodcut, open screenprint, relief on vinyl, reduction linoprint, photoetching, etching emboss, lithograph, and a digital print.

Laughingly, I thought I was learning to be a Printer. Hahaha, I couldn't achieve all this knowledge, and this level of skill in a lifetime, never mind the 3 years of a degree!

Viewing the prints has made me realise that I will have to take some private Printing courses to extend my knowledge and techniques. Time is all that is required. I'm on it.

Crushed and humbled, I collapsed into a cafe seat, and found myself shortly thereafter guzzling a huge square of lemon cake and sucking down tea like a parched foreign legionnaire. As a consequence I 'bucked up' somewhat. The sugar rush enabled me to view the collection again, with a little more sense and proportion. There were one or two exhibits that I could perhaps match.

I departed the show in rather better spirits than I arrived, and may even go again if I find myself near the Humber Bridge.

Yet more pouring rain as I motored on to visit family members, and made my way home on flooded roads through torrents of water. Phew. Hopefully, not long til gin o'clock. Its been a big day.

Kiss, kiss. X

2 comments:

Paul King said...

Nice review. I told myself to go to the exhibition, then started to cry off. Now you have convinced me to go. Thank you.

Cathryn said...

Go, go. Its practically on your doorstep. Seems a shame not to. And have cake.