Total Pageviews

Tuesday 18 August 2009

my day off

Today, I leapt from my very comfortable bed at 4.55am to get youngest to a swimming pool for a swimming club assessment at 6am. We struggled into the car at 5.15am for the 45 minute drive. Assessment complete we headed home at 7am, cup of tea at 7.45am. Tiny lay down until 8.30am. Get car and horse trailer. Collect friends at 9.30am. Drive to Oakham (about 2 1/2 hrs dragging horse trailer). Watch her prospective purchase being vetted (1 1/2 hours). Get vile cup of machine coffee, and have a toilet break. Load new horse and drive him back for them from Oakham to Spilsby. Unload horse. Admire him. Pack up trailer and return home...now 4.10pm. Get quick cup of tea, half a bag of potato crisps, change cars and go to fetch youngest from maths tutor. Deliver bridle which I am lending to a friend on way back. Arrive home at 5.35pm. Tired, thirsty and hungry, and needing loo. 2 lovely nieces and my own father visiting. One niece cuts my two boys hair and other niece has a ride on Skipper. Turns out she complete novice and needs lovely Aunt to run around and around helping her learn to ride. Other niece, having successfully cut all hair in her path, turns up outside in field and also learns to ride yellow horse. More running around for red faced Aunt. Pack away yellow horse plaything to prevent Aunt collapsing with thirst, hunger and exhaustion, but before time for sustenance for Aunt (me), release niece's two cocker spaniels to play with and run with our two new puppies. Another 30 minutes elapse whilst we all enjoy their antics. Staggering now, make my way into kitchen to demand food. Youngest pushes off with two nieces/cousins to a party. Eldest comments that he too is hungry. Load myself into yet another vehicle and drive to nearest village for fast chinese takeaway. Its closed. Rush to fish and chip shop, it is closed but has few remains left on hot plate. Scoop up all in sight. Bring it home and consume it with unhealthy enthusiasm with biggest boy. Now 9pm. Finally made it to a loo break, got a gin in hand, and in approx 2 minutes will either fall off chair into deep coma, or totter up stairs for well earned rest. Looking forward to work tomorrow for the rest.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was tired by the time the "tiny lay-down" happened. Unbelievable. If I were you, I would throw a tantrum at the lack of food available. The gin was a good idea! You're such a good auntie. And mom. I hope they appreciate you!

kinkajou said...

"Today, I leapt from my very comfortable bed at 4.55am..." this made my heart stop. Everything after that was seen through a blog-reading-induced fatigue haze... I'm exhausted. I'll try that tiny lay-down you mentioned... and the gin.