Total Pageviews

Thursday 3 June 2010

summertime, and easy living

I know the above photograph looks exactly like a turd, but it is AN OWL PELLET! Similar to a turd, but regurgitated by the owl, and full of mouse and vole bones, (among other detritus). I found it, still damp, this morning, on the floor of the shed directly opposite the back door of the house. This means that in the early hours an owl took shelter in the rafters there and relaxed sufficiently to digest its evening meal. I hope it also means that the owl will return to this place of safety (so that I can get a photo)
!
And this - is the only evidence upon the body of number two son that he was one of four of us to give blood last night, the boys for the first time! They were very nervous, neither is very keen on the whole needle thing, and very white about the gills when they arrived at the inner sanctum of blood donation. However, they manfully bared their arms, and gave, alongside their dad and myself. Three of the four of us were struck down with faintness after the event, but discretion prevents disclosure of any further information other than one of the wobblers was me! I am always afflicted thus, obviously my body does not part with the red stuff very willingly! All nurses very impressed that we made it a family outing, and it did make me rather proud.

And, in the blazing sunshine at 8am this morning, little yellow horse making the most of luxury lifestyle. No pressure for him, just R&R. Hoping to take him out for an amble tonight though wouldn't wish to exert myself too much at my time of life!!!
AND FINALLY - down at the salt mines this morning something stirred. (In truth, it didn't stir, the toilet didn't flush). Disaster strikes. Usual drain doctor enjoying day off in the sunshine. Reception assistant out buying washing up bowls. Reception full of people with assorted enquiries. I force hung over nephew from his bed to deal with punters. I don yellow marigold gloves, sister's coat (haha), winter wellies and make my way to manhole cover out back. Womanfully remove cover to find - aarrgggghhhh - its full of YOU KNOW WHAT. Next door's customers all sitting outside manhole location in deck chairs watching operation with vast amusement. Usual advice and assistance offered. Can't open workshop door to access salt mine drain rods. Telephone neighbour for loan of drain rods. Squirt water down hole. (Hopeless). Fish about with other long thin things (hopeless). Brother turns up with big smile, clutching golf bag full to bursting with tools of drain clearing, which he passes over to me, his girlie sister, with much enthusiasm. Obviously he is also staying to supervise and advise. Niece wanders over for a good old laugh too. Electrician turns up for morning's entertainment. Crowd now almost overflowing somewhat limited arena space, as I fasten together a few rods to do the deed. YUK. Drawing a veil over the nuts and bolts of the operation itself, I would like to advise that it has all the appearance of a complete success story. Brother retired (quite disappointed) clutching his drain rods and other spectators drifted away to their usual day-time occupations. What a day. And still only 10.30am.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like the script for a comedy series!

Did you get any YOU KNOW WHAT on Sister's coat?