Total Pageviews

Wednesday 18 August 2010

chinese lanterns



Did a chinese lantern fuel cell which had not been attached to the bag properly set fire to the skylight on this caravan? We think so. And so does the Fire Officer. Thankfully the couple who were staying in the caravan were awoken by the smell of smoke, and put out the fire before they were overcome with fumes. Sometimes we are lucky, and this was certainly one of those times. It is causing us a bit of extra work dealing with the after-effects, but absolutely nothng in comparison to what might have been. I need to thank a black cat or touch wood or something!

Only 10 more days of puppies, (Hooray), they are 4 bundles of work and attention! Loved having them, will love to see them go! Yellow horse has a new pilot, a ten year old neighbour, and is behaving very nicely for her. Puppies having id chips injected under their skins tonight which I am dreading. (Squeamish or what).

Harvesting any day for the farmer, who is biting his nails with anxiety and muttering things like 'percentage dryness', 'storage charges per ton', 'yield per hectare', and 'ploughing'. All double dutch to me. Tiny cottage next door finally getting a stab at a new life. Plans now being considered by District Council. I won't hold my breath but am delighted to see drawings on the table at last.

At Melton Mowbray market yesterday I told the big boy that the only way we could bring home some pigs was if there was a litter of very pretty, very spotty, rare breed piglets who would grow up to be deliciously good eating. Unfortunately I must have had a case of foresight, because in the first pen was a litter of 8 piglets who must have been put there in answer to my description! Luckily they were accompanied by a bloody great big sow who would not fit into the back of the SKODA!!!!! Another lucky escape!

4 comments:

Nick B. said...

I would have expected they had been awoken by the sound of the smoke detector! Fortunately no persons harmed.

They seem to have done most of the harvesting around here. I've been stuck behind a combine on at least one occasion. I do miss stubble burning though, I'm sure the global warming lobby had something to do with it's demise. And I enjoy the odd trip to Melton, but only when I can find somewhere to park.

Cathryn said...

Their smoke alarm didn't sound! Tested as perfectly functional after event, but didn't go off when needed. Scary or what. Standard smoke alarm as fitted in all caravans, now we wonder if they are any good? We were fleeced £2.50 to park the car at Market, even though we were sellers. Everybody wants extra money these days. Stubble burning now too risky for modern living. Like actually living is now turning out to be too risky to achieve satisfactorily for the Elf&Safety Wallahs. Son got into Leicester Uni today, thanks be.

Anonymous said...

good thing nobody was hurt!

I'm surprised that the boy didn't drive home for a larger vehicle to transport the pigs in!

Cathryn said...

I think, if it had been closer, he would have, but its about 80 miles to this big market, and too far for fetching something from home (thank goodness)