Total Pageviews

Tuesday 31 August 2010

The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society by M A Shaffer and A Barrows

My sis lent me this book the other day. It has quite an uninspiring cover. However, owing to the lack of any alternative I picked it up last night to give it a go. I crept upstairs after everyone else, still clutching the book to my greedy eyes. I lay awake until the small hours to finish it. Tears poured down my face sometimes, and soaked my pillow. On occasion I smothered hysterical laughter. To round off this emotional roller-coaster I read on the dust jacket that one of the co-authors, for whom this was a first work, died upon its completion. I hope she knew what an absolute masterpiece she has written. It is one of the cleverest, most poignant little publications I have ever had the pleasure of perusing. A joy. Spend a few pounds and steal a few hours. Read it.

5 comments:

BlackLOG said...

See this is why I don't write a book, other than it would not sell (yet alone be published) ....First Steig Larsson delivers his opus and promptly shuffles off his mortal coil...then either M A Shaffer or A Barrows....I guess joint writing a book gives you a 50% chance of survival...

Anonymous said...

oh, yes, I read it when it came out, what a joy of a book! Glad you enjoyed it too.

Another must-read is "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett, I could not put it down, which is high praise from me, the most fincky reader on the planet. And she's still alive as far as I know, BlackLog.

Cathryn said...

my brother in law has just finished The Help, and also highly recommends, so I shall get my turn next! Thanks for the tip.

Anonymous said...

And if you haven't read the Larsson books, do it now that you're footloose and fancy-free! They're great thrillers.

Cathryn said...

so much to do, so little time!!!!!