Total Pageviews

Tuesday 4 October 2011

progress, of a sort


What a stupendous weekend! Two BBQ's under balmy, tropical skies, and we never raised a spatula. And the lovely Em and her beau came for tea on Sunday with the Olds. Gorgeous. This week at college have produced the two pieces photographed. The drawings and photo I am quite pleased with, the 'mobile' should be in the bin. I painted it metallic pink as a gesture of defiance! Otherwise, its going well, though very tiring. And hard. Who would have thought? College group dawdlin' down to London for three days in November, and we staying in a HOSTEL! OMG. I am half a century old and have never been hostelling. Obviously not considered too old to learn. I have paid extra for a single room. Stay in a triple with strangers? I don't think so! Gods know what the other students will think, but I'm not sharin' with 'em. Also forcing The Farmer to take me to London during October to look at a painting at the National Gallery. Its the subject of my first essay, and hoping viewing it up close and personal will improve the essay beyond recognition. Some hope.

On a lighter note, the moles have pushed up something akin to a minor mountain range around the mole scarers (what a misnomer that is) and a hen died yesterday despite my attempts to assist it to drink and dine. My favorite too. Typical. The scratty, grotty ones look as lively as crickets, and my pretty little dalmation coloured, blue egg laying pet ups and dies without as much as a by-your-leave.

The wheat is (I believe) all 'in', peas don't go 'in' until the Spring. Wheat has 'sprung' and now praying for rain (apparently) before it shrivels and dies in front of our eyes. All seems very stressful, though nothing like as horrible as dairy farming/nightime calving & dead cows, which are just a distant memory!

The Farmer ordered a grain moisture meter (honestly) from America last week, and it arrived today in a HUGE box. When I arrived home from College he was drooling over it. And his brother in law had been over for a bit of drooling this afternoon. It powders the grain before measuring the water content. What a treat. Came in its own attache case practically with bows on. Expecting to find it in bed with the Farmer tonight. He certainly loves it anyway!

Big boy seems to have settled in at Harper Adams if the lack of information is any guide. I did risk a call yesterday, and he had time to tell me he was fine, busy every night until Christmas, and off to breakfast before the buffet table was cleared by ravenous students. Missing him already. Obviously. Baby boy also showing marked signs of satisfaction with University life as his phone also appears to be broken. Risked a text to him yesterday, and so far, no reply. Being a parent to great big boys easy job. As not required. Hmmmm. Probably see them at Christmas anyway. Hopefully!

Booked to see Fascinating Aida this coming weekend with friends. Quite excited. If you don't know who they are google it, or better still, watch a skit or two on UTUBE. Truly original, and hilarious. Third time I have seen them. Improving with age, like good wine. Speaking of which, looks like G&T time. Adieu, adieu.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your drawings! I was never a big fan of mobiles, so I can't say if I like yours or not.

I wonder which would win-the new moisture meter or you in a sexy lace teddy?

Never a dull moment for you, huh? sounds wonderful and I'm looking forward to your report on hostelling.