Total Pageviews

Tuesday 24 February 2009

nottingham uni, and the fate of a rat

Heading over to the real home of Robin Hood tomorrow with my biggest boy for an in depth look at Nottingham Uni's Maths Department, and meet and greet with the tutors. He hasn't been to see this campus before, and they have made a good offer, so its a real possibility (with the right Maths A level result...) Perhaps stopping at Mansfield to look at a car ready for youngest boy's 17th birthday which will be here quite soon. Cars, I regret to say, seem to be a vital accoutrement to life out here in the sticks, we have no buses within 2 miles, no trains (same distance to tiny village station), so, apart from the old bicycle, its the car or the legs. I always promised them that if they didn't have a motorcycle or scooter a car would be given, though they were always welcome to buy their own two wheeled motor transport, but it would mean that there would be no car provision. This seems to have been effective. I am mortally afraid of motorcycles, one young man we know lost his leg in a bike collision through no fault of his own, and one young family man paralysed from the shoulders down, same situation, no fault of his own. Whilst cars are dangerous, I have always been afraid for the safety of motorbike riders on Lincolnshire roads.

Just brought the horse into his barn for the night, and whilst my back was turned the little black dog has caught and killed, and brought to me for praise, the biggest and fattest rat I have ever seen! Thankfully completely killed (she favours the back of neck bite for preference) and now buried by same little dog under the garden fence. She is now running around in the dark outside like a mad thing, hoping for another victim. She has a bloodlust... I thought she was getting too old for this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

goodness, I hope the dog's rabies vaccinations are up-to-date! I think it'd be hard to love a dog that does that, though the dog can't help what its instincts are.

Hope the kid gets into the college he wants!