Total Pageviews

Saturday 10 July 2010

midnight walk for St Barnabas hospice

Despite extreme tiredness, and thinking about crying off at the last moment, I am very proud to say that I turned up for the six and a half mile midnight walk, with 100 or so other ladies, and completed the circuit in good time and in excellent physical condition (for my age, and weight etc!). So pleased that I turned up and did it. Less cheerfully there is something in our house that is biting the big boy and me. The farmer and the youngest seem immune to this rapacious blood sucker/allergy inducer. The big boy and I are counting our huge, itchy red skin wheels, swallowing anti-histamine, and searching frantically for the culprits. Dogs seem to be flealess, cats don't come in at all - difficult to know where else to look. I am wondering if the very cute nest of house martins which is aalmost in the house is the source of a bag load of bird lice? Or, as the big boy jogs around the field daily, and I walk the dogs around the field with bare legs, is it something in the long grass? Youngest doesn't walk dogs much, and the farmer doesn't get out of his teleporter, except in emergencies. Mystery must be solved, and quickly, or big boy and I are going to disappear behind our swollen legs. Whatever it is - certain and swift retribution waits......

A busy day at the salt mines owing to fabulous, tropical sunshine. I am grateful indeed for the business the weather is bringing, but can't help thinking that we do now need a bit more than a drop of rain. Sorry, but perhaps at dead of night?

Yellow horse fat and happy. Hardly any work this week owing to other committments, and the heat. He doesn't seem to mind, but now wondering if he is going to burst. A new fence making his grazing area much smaller is in the pipeline......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

how long did the walk take you? I think that would be fun, and better than walking during the heat of the day.

Yep, dead-of-night rain is best!

If the bug bites are mostly on your legs, the problem is on the ground. No idea what to do except wear long pants, not a nice thought in the heat. Did you try spraying insect repellent on your legs?

Cathryn said...

thank you janet, I have today purchased repellent and topical cream. Feet and legs are the worst. The walk took one and a half hours at quite a cracking pace and today I am veyr weary (but itchy)