Total Pageviews

Friday 4 February 2011

Godparenting surprise!

I accompanied my Pa to the funeral of one of his longest-standing friends yesterday. In itself it was not a sad affair, it was a celebration of a long and successful life. As the ravening hoards settled into the tea and cake afterwards one of the many grey haired gentlemen reached out to shake my hand, and introduce himself to me. He claimed he was my godfather! In disbelief I turned to my own Pa, who nodded his confirmation in some amusement. The new godfather went on to apologise for being somewhat less than attentive in his godfatherly duties over the past 50 years, and attempted to make good all his ill-deeds in the space of 10 minutes. Indeed, it has to be said that he rather succeeded. It turns out that he is the 1958 gold medal winner Commonwealth & British Empire (those were the days) indoor cycling time trial champion at 1 minute 12 seconds. I thought he was making it all up at the funeral tea. Surely someone would have told me that I had a Gold Medal Commonwealth AND EMPIRE Champion as a Godfather? No. When we arrived home I googled him (Neville Tong), and indeed, there he is, on the board of European champions, proudly named along with Chris Hoy etc. My godfather. I had to wait 50 years, but it was worth it!!! To complete the story his wife at the time was my Godmother, and has been somewhat more scrupulous in her attentions. She does at least know who I am! All was forgiven in a rush of hugs and laughter and I am very proud to call him my godfather. Hoping it won't be another 50 years before I see him again. Unlikely!!

So: losses - one mate of my Pa.
....gains - one godfather

The day was completed by a long and lovely cup of tea with my own longest standing friend (50 years - my entire life), and a even longer cup of coffee with my cousin and his family. It was a very tired and worn god-daughter, friend and cousin who wended her way home to bed.

The unlikely upshot of this interesting day is that I am hoping to coerce the Farmer to accompany me to Appleby Fair this year. (Its a long story). There will be photos.

3 comments:

BlackLOG said...

I managed to lose both my god parents before I had hit the magic age of 10 (how carless is that, I blame poor choice by my parents)...So no gold medal stories in my future...I really would be deeply disturbed if I bumped into either of them, I suspect they will not be at their best after at least 35 years of undergroundliving ….

Cathryn said...

Luckily mine was still alive. Thanks for putting April date in yr diary. Will look forward to it very much. As the birthday boy has declined a party and any other sign of celebration I have high hopes......

Anonymous said...

What a nice thing to come out of a funeral. Now you have bragging rights-do you have a bicycle so you can ride alongside your godfather? ;-)