Total Pageviews

Monday 25 March 2013

car contretemps

After a very successful outing to Ingoldmells yesterday I jumped into my car to drive home for my tea. Oops. I forgot that i had parked immediately behind and adjacent to a low wooden post. (Which has, I might add, been at the caravan park almost as long as I have worked there). Consequently I knocked the post over, and under the passenger side wheel/wheel arch. Hearing a strange noise as I attempted to depart, I shifted quickly into reverse and consequently trapped the post right in the wheel-arch, where it managed to skillfully lever off almost the complete front of the passenger side of the car. Bumper, electric control box, radiator guard, wheel arch liner, all neatly pushed from their housings and all the clips snapped. What a mess. Dangling plastic, wires, plastic shrapnel. It was ugly (in a 'dragging in the road' kind of way).

My kind brother inserted sundry scraps of wire to 'hold it all together temporarily', everyone had a grand chortle (except me) and the poor, sad, injured car awaits collection by a bodyshop tomorrow on a low loader. They will bring me a replacement loan car whilst I await the return of my injured carriage. I feel such a fool. I would cry but it is so pointless. How absolutely careless of me. So angry I could........ be really angry. And what is almost worse, there is no way to blame anyone else (for instance - the Farmer) for the accident. I tried last night. For example: if he had not been unwell, and had come with me, he would have been driving and it would not have happened. Its not really working is it? Here's another try. I actually went to collect something for him from the caravan Park. If he had not asked me to do that I wouldn't have been there. Not much better is it? So, the blame rightly rests with me. When I pay my insurance premium it makes me squirm. Today, however, I am delighted to have done so.

So, today I couldn't go to college. I have twiddled my thumbs at home in a no man's land of crossness and regret. Now pulling myself together and shall endeavour to put the 'incident' behind me and reapply my cheerful face.

The blasted wind today is enough to freeze off the ears, and being a lazy wind it goes straight through my coats instead of around like a normal wind. The fire in the kitchen continues to be critical to everyday comfort despite Spring being here. The cold is bringing the rape eating pigeons in ever more voracious hordes, and crop decimation appears to be complete.

Good news: the reappearance in our social lives of dear, good friends who have been absent geographically for some few years. We are so pleased. So very pleased. Having managed to maintain  a friendship for 40 years I guess we are in it for the long haul, and it looks like they are too. A heavy weight in the scales on the 'happy events' side and a counterbalance for the car contretemps!

The baby boy has flown away to Amersterdam for a few days and the big boy remains holed up in Shropshire working at college stuff. Hoping to see them both soon. I have Easter eggs......

PS My lovely niece says that easter egg calories are all just inside the foil wrapping. Thus, if you take off the foil wrapper quickly and screw it up you will trap all the calories safely in the foil and can eat the chocolate egg with absolute abandon. NB this will not work with hen eggs.

Enjoy. XX

2 comments:

Nick B. said...

Fortunately it was just the car and nobody was harmed. Modern cars are designed to fail like this - crumple zones to absorb the energy in an impact.

Cathryn said...

Pity my pride doesn't have a crumple zone.....