Total Pageviews

Monday 4 March 2013

The fandango finish


Just occasionally, when the beach is yours as far as the eye can see, and there are a thousand seagulls to chase, its an absolute delight to live so close to the coastline. Not a holiday-maker in sight, and a beautiful, beautiful day.

Here's the big fandango. Finished at last. 100 tiny representations of vulvas. 95 of them sewn up. 5 open. They represent 100% of the girl children who are born in the horn of Africa. And the 95% who are mutilated by cutting through the practice of FGM. I am so proud of this work, and the tiny part it is playing in highlighting FGM, and inviting people to discuss the practice, try to understand it, and also question this custom. It has taken hours and hours to fabricate and I hope I can find the opportunity to bring it to a wider audience. Fingers crossed.
 
Another piece of my work (The Big Wahoonie, see earlier bloggings) was selected for an exhibition at University, which opened today. It was a private viewing event, invitation only. It would appear that invitations were mostly circulated to University staff. I went along for an interview and photography. Lordy, it was grim. No atmosphere, no discernable purpose, and hardly any other students. My own family and friends failed to put in a supporting appearance making my attendance a lonely and unpleasant experience. Having glugged my tepid orange juice I tootled off. Apparently the exhibition will stay in place for 6 months, so I shall grow accustomed to seeing my offering on the wall every time I go to the University Centre.
 
My crisis of confidence over artistic production as acute as ever. Recent tutorials do not seem to have provided any discernable reassurance or relief. Am thinking that a week or two of personal reflection will not come amiss and I will reapprise my attitude and make some decisions then. (feeling wise).
 
I seem to have a bit of an attitude problem all round just now. Spiky and argumentative, the Farmer is wisely keeping his head down below the parapet. Probably hormones. Or something. Don't cross me just now, anyway, to be on the safe side!
 
Traaaalaaaaaaaa........ X

1 comment:

Paul King said...

Great pictures.