Total Pageviews

Tuesday 30 April 2013

The washing machine blues......

So, I put a load in the washing machine 2 days ago. This morning, pretty sure that it should have finished by now, I attempted to open the door. No go. Dusting the grime from the Perspex window, I could see that water remained in the drum, about half way up the glass. Hmmmmm. I pushed a few buttons. A little red light flashed. I waited. And waited. Nothing happened. Absolutely nothing. So, I merrily turned the dial and selected about 10 programmes, then pushed a few more buttons. Still.....nothing. Hmmmmmmm. I had a cup of tea. I made a complaint about lack of longevity in washing machines to the Farmer. He had a cup of tea. Then...... I had a brainwave. Something I absolutely promised myself I would do, without fail, every week for this new machine. Check the FILTER. I undid the little, grey pull out pipe which you can hook into a bowl. The tiniest trickle of water emerged. Not promising. So, I unscrewed  Big Bertha, the main filter thingy. Water began to seep around the edges of the screw plug. I kept undoing it. Suddenly, in a great, grey gush, all the water which had been trapped inside the machine and its pumping system flooded out onto the utility floor carrying with it the biggest clump of horse/dog/human hair and a single shirt collar stiffener for good measure. Pretty embarrassing. So, let that be several lessons to you:

1. Don't wash horse kit in your machine
2. Don't wash dog stuff in your machine.
3. Remove the collar stiffeners in dress shirts prior to washing
4. Check your washer filters regularly.
5. And finally. When installing a utility facility in your home, make the floor slope to a drain point, so that all the flood water DOES NOT rush behind the bloody washing machine.

However, machine now functioning A1, spinning clothes almost dry and generally being well behaved. It even looks grateful.

No comments: