Total Pageviews

Sunday 31 August 2008

Old People doing it too







Old People's night around the fire pit - campers welcome! One couple (who are about to be married), turned up with the wooden steam engine trailer aged nearly 100 pictured above! That was a surprise. They even claim to have slept well in their tiny bunk beds. A beautiful piece of history being sympathetically restored. Festivities commenced at 7.30pm and at 3am as I was making my way across the circle surrounding the fire pit (to finally go to bed), the whole pit jumped up and leapt into my path, causing me to stumble into and across the fire bed, and fall flat on my (drunken) face on the other side. I was wearing the new pair of white linen trousers in the top picture, which I had managed to keep relatively clean until this unfortunate incident. When I had picked myself up from the floor, and dusted off my dignity, among other things, I realised that the entire floor was not very stable either, causing me to walk quite crookedly and unevenly to the house, and my bed. Today I have some bruising and an unexplainable headache and sickly feeling in my stomach. Must be something I ate. 40 or so old people came along to pretend to be young again, and drink warm wine/beer, and eat smoky food, and become liberally covered in wood ash, as there was quite a strong prevailing wind. Even asked to do it again next year. If there is a repeat performance must make sure to anchor down the fire pit to stop it tripping up unsuspecting passers-by.


3 comments:

Nick B. said...

Yup.

The young 'uns seem to think we either don't know how to have fun or we shouldn't be doing it.

Next time say to yourself "that's going to hurt in the morning!". Then carry on.

Cathryn said...

One of my young 'uns served drinks all night, ran the BBQ and generally supervised immature and irresponsible adult behaviour, watching for miscreants, the other stayed in house, as embarrassment factor of old fools gathering too high to face. Both sadly let down by drunken mother. Poor parenting. Must try harder.

Anonymous said...

Yep, something you ate. Glad it wasn't a worse fall, and hope you remember not to wear white pants next time!

It's heartening to see the old people gamely attempt to have fun. ;-)